Welcoming Runners From Around The World!
Are you ready? There’s no turning back now! Well, there is, but we’re here to help boost your confidence and have a worry free weekend.
Amenities Made Just For You
- Saturday, October 6 - Come to our lobby living room for an amplified wine hour with special additions of spirit-free energizing drinks and carb-friendly small bites from Chef Millman
- Sunday, October 7 - Before you head out, stop by our lobby living room for infused water, granola bar, oatmeal and fruit bowl stations (set-up for early birds at 5am!)
From Our Director of Concierge Services
The following restaurants are recommended for ‘carbing’ up:
Italian restaurants in neighboring distance
- 312 Chicago: sumptuous, authentic Italian cuisine with an inviting atmosphere.
- Acanto Chicago: pizza, pasta & a variety of Italian fare in a relaxed setting with a gorgeous outdoor patio on Michigan Avenue.
- Trattoria No.10: classic Italian food in an intimate, elegant belowground setting, very popular with theatergoers.
- Italian Village: opened in 1927, this romantic Italian restaurant serves classic dishes & coins themselves on the oldest Italian restaurant in Chicago.
Italian restaurants short taxi/uber away
- Piccolo Sogno: quieter and more elegant restaurant that makes for a nice meal, especially on their beautiful outdoor patio.
- La Scarol: go-to for mom/pop-style Italian dinner in Chicago. Large portions and a favorite by local celebrities.
- Osteria Langhe: specializes in food from the Piemonte region of Italy, known for many antipasti meals.
- Monteverde: one of the best new restaurants around and the pastas are a big reason why.
2. If you're looking to warm-up before the race, I’ve curated a list of running options below:
- 1 Mile Run – Exit our LaSalle entrance and head North towards Randolph Street, turn left heading West on Randolph towards Little Goat Diner! Here you will treat yourself on their outdoor patio by local celebrity Chef Stephanie Izard, a diner concept serving a huge menu of creative, gourmet takes on comfort food classics.
- 2 Mile Run – Exit from the Monroe entrance heads East towards Lake Michigan, once you arrived to the Lake take a right heading South along Lake Michigan. Just two blocks down at Congress Avenue, you will see the Buckingham Fountain on your right, along with the picture perfect skyline! Head towards the Buckingham fountain and continue running West on Congress towards Wells Street. Turn right on Wells Street headed North towards Monroe. On your left at Monroe and Wells will be Equinox Spa and Fitness Club. Reward yourself with a rejuvenating massage in their spa to start your day.
- 4 Mile Run – Exit from LaSalle to the Chicago River, and head down onto the River Walk. Run east on the River Walk toward Lake Michigan. Where the path ends, turn back! Take the River walk towards the Wells Street Bridge, and head up the Bridge. Cross the bridge towards Kinzie Street and take a left one block to Franklin. You’ve arrived to Dougnut Vault, enjoy artisanal handcrafted doughnuts in classic flavors, baked fresh daily.
- 5 Mile Run – Exit from Monroe and run east to Lake Michigan, once arrived to the Lake take a left headed North along the lakefront. At 1600 North Lakeshore Drive, you’ll arrive at North Avenue Beach! Turn back and take in the skyline as you head back to the Gray hotel along the cool breeze lakefront. At Monroe take, a right towards Lasalle and you will return to the Kimpton Gray.
Meet Our Director of Concierge Services
Bobby Gonzalez is an award-winning concierge and the Director of Concierge Services at the Kimpton Gray Hotel in Chicago, as well as a proud member of the Les Clefs d'Or USA. Bobby brings more than 10 years of experience in the hospitality industry and the familiarity of Chicago that comes from a lifetime spent in the city to his position. Bobby is an devoted runner and completed his first Chicago Marathon in 2016.
His tips for the marathon:
- Great news! We are a short walk to the start and finish. There is no need to worry about transportation.
- The first few miles run right through our neighborhood, the Loop. If you have friends/family here to cheer you on –tell them you will run right pass the hotel entrance off LaSalle Street.
- Keep your focus, concentrate, and conserve your energy. Add your name to the FRONT of your running shirt – the crowd will shout your name to root you on. It will save you from having to high five every second for an added boost.
- Charge your devices the night before -- i.e. headphones, GPS, cell phone etc
- No matter what your goal, be prepared for the last few miles to hurt. Push yourself, but listen to your body. Aid stations will be set up along the course. Do not be afraid to use them!